Thursday, January 17, 2013

Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Food






Today's post is a little different: I don't have a new mani to show you, but a fantastic little helper for glitter addicts like me: Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Food (Fix A Flat).

If you've read my previous posts, you probably noticed me mentioning Glitter Food a couple of times in addition to Essie Good to Go or Essence Better Than Gel Nails Top Sealer. As you probably assumed, Glitter Food is a topcoat. It's not a quick drying topcoat like Essie Good to Go, but a thick one to smoothen the surface of glitter polishes (probably like Gelous, but I've never tried this one). By reading "thick topcoat" you may think of Essie Good to Go or Essence Better Than Gel Nails Top Sealer after a couple of weeks: these topcoats tend to turn very thick and goopy after a while. But Glitter Food is different: while it's very thick to smoothen the glitter surface, it's not goopy at all. If you wipe it on it produces a very smooth finish, no visible brush strokes whatsoever.





Allison, the creator of Nail Patter Boldness describes Glitter Food as following: "If you wear glitter polish you've probably noticed that the finish can be gritty or rough, especially with denser glitters. This works great as a topcoat to smooth things out and give you a nice glassy look."
(Source: Nail Pattern Boldness Etsy shop)

I tried to take some pictures of a glitter polish before and after adding Glitter Food to show you the surface, but I realised this isn't as easy as I thought. I hope you can still see the difference.




 The glitter polish alone has a rough surface, the individual glitters tend to stick up a little.

 


 After adding Glitter Food, it's like you sealed the glitters behind glass. Glitter Food seems milky in the bottle, but it dries absolutely clear with a satin finish. 






If you prefer a glossy finish, like I do, I'd recommend an additional glossy topcoat (I use Essie Good to Go or Essence Better Than Gel Nails Top Sealer). As I always use a quick drying topcoat on top of Glitter Food, I can't really talk about drying time. But I noticed that the quick drying topcoat doesn't dry any slower with Glitter Food beneath it, so it seems to have no influence on drying time of your mani.






Allison also mentions two more applications of Glitter Food:
"Recently I've been testing it for use as a basecoat - particularly for polishes that require a super smooth base to start with - and have been liking the results. More on this as I gather data!

Yet another use for this product is to "fix" polishes that have "gone flat." By this I mean polishes where the original base used wasn't strong enough to hold up the glitter, and it's not possible to just shake it back up to reincorporate the glitter. I've included a few before and after photos on polishes I've fixed this way so you can see what I mean. The way I've used it is to remove the top 1/4 or 1/5 of the sinky glitter bottle using an eyedropper and replace it with Glitter Food. Shake it up (really really hard the first time) or you might need to get in there with an orange stick to really pick up the glitter off the bottom of the bottle. If there's enough interest in using it this way I may offer a kit in the future that includes a dropper (though if you have a Sally's near you they sell disposable plastic ones that are great for this purpose)."

(Source: Nail Pattern Boldness Etsy shop)

I haven't used Glitter Food as a basecoat or to fix glitter polishes, so I can't tell how good this works. 


As you can see in my bottle shot, I'm already halfway through my bottle, and I already know I'm going to rebuy it once it's empty. I'm really pleased with Glitter Food and use it on all my manis that contain rough glitter polishes. 


Glitter Food is available at the Nail Pattern Boldness Etsy shop (if it's not sold out like right now) and at Llarowe .


8 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like a very good product to settle stubborn glitter bombs! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You definitely should, this stuff is amazing!

      Delete
  3. Thanks to your previous reference to it I ordered it earlier this week. Am super curious now of course. I might try it as Base Coat for whites or pastels since they show my ridges horribly - or as Base Coat for my Layla metallics...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would work well as a ridge-filling base coat, I have to try that sometime.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That's hard to say, as I never wear it alone. Sometimes I have a little shrinking, but I think it's the Essence topcoat that causes it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read every single one of them, and I really do appreciate them all.

Please refrain from using my comments for link dropping and spamming and note that I may remove any comments that violate this policy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...